The present sanctuary, which was erected in 1953-54, stands over a cave in which the shepherds are believed to have lived. It is built in the shape of a tent, a polygon with five straight and five projecting sides. The light, which floods the interior, reminds one of the strong light which would have been present when the angels announced the divine birth. Inside the church, the frontal and the upper parts of the altar are decorated with 15 panels depicting various scenes from the Annunciation to the arrival of the Holy Family in Egypt. This sanctuary was built by the architect, Barluzzi, and is dedicated to the angels. Both the laying of the foundation stone and the dedication took place on a Christmas Day. Every year, on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, these fields are crowded with thousands of pilgrims singing Christmas carols to celebrate the joyous event.